Bespoke engineering projects
John Danby Racing specialises in bespoke motorsport engineering projects ranging from full car restorations to specialist technology solutions. Here are some examples of our recent project work:
- Lotus Cortina
New for 2014 JDR's latest project is a Ford Cortina GT that will undergo transformation into a FIA appendix K specification Lotus Cortina that will be raced in various historic race meetings across Europe. The road car base has already been stripped, acid dipped and is undergoing shell preparation including seam welding and roll cage fitting. JS Motorsport will be assisting with this project with many of their high spec Lotus Cortina parts.
- 1963 Ford Cortina GT
- Full FIA Appendix K specification
- To be race ready by Nurburgring Oldtimer 8/9/10Aug!
- Fully seam welded and lightened bodyshell by JDR
- Lotus Twin Cam race engine by JS Motorsport
- Aluminum bonnet, bootlid and doors
- Honda NSX
The JDR built Honda NSX race car is undergoing a number of engineering/engine developments prior to the 2014 season. Nearly all of the roadcar items have now been replaced with custom race hardware. JDR engineered the conversion from roadcar to Hewland gearbox with a paddle shift unit for 2011, one of the biggest developments to date, requiring custom design bell housing and driveline parts all designed in house at JDR. In addition we are working on the design of improved aerodynamic parts, power steering, suspension package and light weight parts.
- 1995 3.0ltr NSX road car purchased in Aug/Sept 2009 for development into a racecar in limited timescale
- Unique development of an NSX into a racecar by engineering team at JDR.
- Many custom made solutions and bespoke designed & engineered components, in house by JDR.
- Debut race at Brands Hatch on 7th November - 2 x 90 min races, one day and one night race.
- Finished second in class in first ever race.
- Guest driver Vicki Butler-Henderson at Brands Hatch
- Engine being fully rebuilt into race unit by AER in preparation for 2014 race season.
- Car was fully stripped, basic custom rollcage fitted with JDR additions for safety and performance.
- Main interior dashpanels retained, but with bespoke JDR additions to house electronic switch panels.
- Lightweight panels used to help reduce overall car weight.
- Some bodypanels replaced with Type R panels for styling & clearance
- JDR are pioneering a new electronics system, used for 'smart power control' of the car's electrical systems
- Full and advanced datalogging recording 200 channels
- Live feed camera system to relay real time in-car footage back to the pit garage.
- Custom made dampers
- Large custom made brake kit
- Hewland EGTW paddleshft gearbox
- Lotus Elise
The JDR prepared Lotus Motorsport Elise was one of the original 25 Motorsport chassis developed by John Danby & team for Lotus in 1999. The car was brought to JDR in 2008 by David and Rob Fenn. Since then the car has been highly developed and now runs a 2.3 Ford Duratec engine with over 300bhp and a 6 speed paddleshift Hewland gearbox. For the 2014 season the car is being treated to a full rebuild on a brand new chassis and converted to fly by wire throttle with Motec datalogging.
- JDR custom designed and made uprights
- In house CAD & FEA designed/proven lightened chassis
- Engine development for improved reliability
- JDR designed aero package
- Paddleshift Hewland EGT gearbox conversion
- Dry break refuelling adaption
- 2010 - GT Cup
- Upscaled package for increase in Championship power:weight allowances
- 2011 - Lotus Cup UK/Europe
- In house gearbox conversion to Hewland paddleshift
- JDR custom drivetrain
- Aero developments with bodywork - designed by JDR
- 2012 - Lotus Cup UK/Europe
- Converted to Ford Duratec engine, bespoke installation by JDR.
- 2013 - Lotus Cup UK
- 2014 - Lotus Cup UK/Europe
- Current Specification
- Ford Duratec 2.3 engine
- Hewland EGT paddleshift gearbox
- Custom Aero package (floors, cooling, bodywork, wing/splitter)
- Live feed camera system from car to pits
- Car to pit radios
- Race Car Preparation
JDR have extensive expertise in racecar preparation and setup - the knowledge and resources to ensure maximum competitiveness at all levels of motorsport.
- Race Car Engineering
JDR specialise in bespoke projects from Panelwork and Chassis fabrication through to lightweight prototype parts for optimum performance.
- Vehicle Restoration
From stripping and rebuilding, to researching and finding parts for incomplete projects JDR are highly experienced in getting your car back to perfect condition.
- Historic Road and Rally
JDR's skills are not limited just to the racetrack or rally stage. As fellow car enthusiasts we offer a bespoke service for your treasured road or trackday car.
- Machining and Fabrication
JDR offers in-house bespoke engineering solutions - design, development and manufacture thanks to our CNC machine shop and solid modelling capabilities.