Bespoke engineering projects
John Danby Racing specialises in bespoke motorsport engineering projects ranging from full car restorations to specialist technology solutions. Here are some examples of our recent project work:
- Honda NSX
The JDR built Honda NSX race car is undergoing a number of engineering developments prior to the 2012 season. Nearly all of the roadcar items have now been replaced with custom race hardware. JDR engineered the conversion from roadcar to Hewland gearbox with a paddle shift unit for 2011, one of the biggest developments to date, requiring custom design bell housing and driveline parts all designed in house at JDR. In addition we are working on the design of improved aerodynamic parts, power steering, suspension package and light weight parts.
- 1995 3.0ltr NSX road car purchased in Aug/Sept 2009 for development into a racecar in limited timescale
- Target to debut the car at the last Britcar round - Brands Hatch 7th November
- Unique development of an NSX into a racecar by engineering team at JDR.
- Many custom made solutions and bespoke designed & engineered components, in house by JDR.
- Debut race at Brands Hatch on 7th November - 2 x 90 min races, one day and one night race.
- Finished second in class in first ever race.
- Guest driver Vicki Butler-Henderson at Brands Hatch
- Car is being further developed over winter to compete in 2012
- Car was fully stripped, basic custom rollcage fitted with JDR additions for safety and performance.
- Main interior dashpanels retained, but with bespoke JDR additions to house electronic switch panels.
- Lightweight panels used to help reduce overall car weight.
- Some bodypanels replaced with Type R panels for styling & clearance
- Engine stripped and rebuilt with minor performance enhancements - capable of producing 330bhp.
- JDR are pioneering a new electronics system, used for 'smart power control' of the car's electrical systems
- Full and advanced datalogging recording 200 channels
- Live feed camera system to relay real time in-car footage back to the pit garage.
- Custom made dampers
- Large custom made brake kit
- Hewland EGTW paddleshft gearbox
- Lotus Elise
The JDR prepared Lotus Motorsport Elise was one of the original 25 Motorsport chassis developed by John Danby & team for Lotus in 1999. The car was brought to JDR in 2008 by a customer, the brief being to take the car to its limits retaining the original K Series engine and produce a Championship winning car.
- 2008/9 - Britcar
- Motorsport Elise stripped to a bare chassis, rebuilt to Britcar regulations for 2009 season
- JDR custom designed and made uprights
- In house CAD & FEA designed/proven lightened chassis
- Engine development for improved reliability
- JDR designed aero package
- Paddleshift gearbox conversion
- Dry break refuelling adaption
- 2010 - GT Cup
- Upscaled package for increase in Championship power:weight allowances
- 2011 - Lotus Cup UK/Europe
- In house gearbox conversion to Hewland paddleshift
- JDR custom drivetrain
- Aero developments with bodywork - designed by JDR
- Current Specification
- 1.9 K Series
- Hewland EGT paddleshift gearbox
- Custom Aero package (floors, cooling, bodywork, wing/splitter)
- Live feed camera system from car to pits
- Car to pit radios
- Stack datalogging
- Lotus Mark VI
The Lotus Mark VI, chassis number 040, is currently undergoing a sympathetic restoration by John Danby Racing for a Lotus enthusiast. The project brief is to restore the VI to its original glory, using only methods that were available in period, engineering in reliability and safety where necessary on the way. JDR consulted the Lotus VI experts from the Historic Lotus Register, for a full history of the original build. The first stage of the process was to strip the car to a bare chassis this uncovered a few stories of (sometimes poor!) modifications in a previous life. The chassis has been blasted and non original members removed, welds repaired or replaced, and so on. The rear axle has been stripped, blasted & powdercoated. The radiator has a new core, but retaining the original end caps and we are sourcing matching brake drums as the car had a mixed assortment! Work has begun on the steering system and the pedal box. Oh.. and lots of polishing! The engine and new gearbox have been hung in position, to measure & fabricate new gearbox brackets and to ensure clearance in the new floors. Work has begun on the pedal box - new pedals and pads being fabricated, all in house. The rebuild is ongoing, please check back regularly for updates.
- Built in 1950s in London by the Lotus Engineering Company
- One hundred Mark VI chassis were built between 1952 & 57
- Chassis 040 was exported to Utah, USA in 1980
- Car returned to UK 2011 for full restoration by John Danby Racing
- Originally fitted with an MG TF engine
- Later converted to a 1200cc Coventry climax FWE engine
- Weight 905lbs
- Lightweight spaceframe chassis
- Original Aluminium body by Williams and Pritchard
- Race Car Preparation
JDR have extensive expertise in racecar preparation and setup - the knowledge and resources to ensure maximum competitiveness at all levels of motorsport.
- Race Car Engineering
JDR specialise in bespoke projects from Panelwork and Chassis fabrication through to lightweight prototype parts for optimum performance.
- Vehicle Restoration
From stripping and rebuilding, to researching and finding parts for incomplete projects JDR are highly experienced in getting your car back to perfect condition.
- Historic Road and Rally
JDR's skills are not limited just to the racetrack or rally stage. As fellow car enthusiasts we offer a bespoke service for your treasured road or trackday car.
- Machining and Fabrication
JDR offers in-house bespoke engineering solutions - design, development and manufacture thanks to our CNC machine shop and solid modelling capabilities.